Here is a short update video on the development of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) on behalf of Collectorvision games.
Specific items in this build are:
- re-wrote background collision detection for more accuracy
- climbing ladder logic and speed should be similar to the SNES version.
- all enemy animation sequences completed.
- animated lava is now shown at the current level in the map (will slowly increase once the level trap has been activated).
- did run into a space issue as the maze definitions won't fit in one memory bank, so I have to rewrite that to spread across two banks or introduce compression.
- all collision detection (enemies to Sydney, boomerang to enemies)
- pickups - gems & puzzle objects
- unlock end of level with puzzle object
- testing/bug fixes etc
The game is written in 6502 assembler, using the IDE Nesicide and a set of tile and map tools written by myself.
See a short video of the progress here.