I had an afternoon this weekend where I was left alone and have been playing Seaquest for the Atari 2600 a bit lately, trying to set a high score, and I couldn't stop thinking about the game and how it could be done on the TI-99xx chipset i.e. Colecovision, MSX and original Spectravideo.
I sat down and started putting together some of the graphics, and then started putting the framework of the game together.
So far I have completed the following:
- EA Splash Screen
- Title Screen (although it needs some more pixel level editing)
- Main play screen tile layout
- Oxygen Meter
- Lives remaining display
- Main Sub movement
- Enemy Sub spawning and movement
I was quite surprised I got so much done in such a short period of time.
There are obviously quite a few things still to do i.e. sharks, divers, collision detection, sound effects and music, but I am confident enough that I will be able to make quite a decent port.
I posted a short video of the game before I did the title screen and enemy movement to my Facebook page here
More updates soon.